Wednesday, January 19, 2011

the two-edged smartphone

Wake up and smell the smartphone theft: http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/11/pf/smartphone_dangers/. As we move toward a smartphone oriented society, our phones become huge targets for thieves. With convenient apps we transfer money, shop, and pay bills. But in enemies' hands, an unsecured smartphone leaks personal information. Thieves can steal your money, masquerade as you on Facebook, or (gasp!) buy boots via the Zappos app. To protect myself, can I just avoid the smartphone bandwagon? Unlikely. Smartphones will, as all technology does, accelerate business life. Personal life will be victim to acceleration also. Lately, I've realized that swimming against the tech flood is not an option, so I'm buying an Android next pay check. I plan to protect it with my life though (no one is spending my Zappos bucks!). And to all you promiscuous Androids out there: cling to your humans! Don't leave them for strangers at Starbucks.

3 comments:

  1. I find myself living in the 2-years-ago with my free cell phone with an actual physical keyboard and fortunately I have nothing of any value anywhere on my phone. Scratch that - that text message from Jenny the other day was golden. But I'll have to delete it soon when I hit my limit of 200 texts.

    Perhaps I live in the past (well, not perhaps, I do), but I really do hope that smartphones do not become as commonplace as we all expect they will, myself included. I already dread my monthly bill quite enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am decidedly anti-fad, and have thus always looked down my nose at the "smart phone" craze. My own sentiments aside, I agree that we make ourselves vulnerable by delegating too many important functions to pocket-sized, easily misplaced devices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is especially hazardous in our society right now. With our mentality of "Nothing bad will never happen to me", more and more people are going to leave themselves unprotected via their smart phones and end up destroying their lives because of it.

    ReplyDelete